The loss of Neville Toms
On behalf of the FTGDCA Executive and the wider cricket community our thoughts are with the Toms family at this time. The following is taken from the Belgrave facebook page.
It is with great sorrow that the Belgrave Cricket Club announces the sudden passing of one of its greatest ever players, Life Member, Neville Toms
Neville was a loyal clubman and an inspiring leader who’s cricketing ability, with both bat and ball, are best described as exceptional.
His Belgrave CC statistics outline a remarkable career:
- 16 senior seasons as a player
- Captain of our 1st XI for 5 years
- 4,703 runs @ 27.34 (4 Centuries and 22 half centuries)
- 253 wickets @ 19.55 (5 wickets or more in an innings on 6 occasions)
- 3 x 1st XI premiership player (95/96, 01/02 and 03/04)
- 2 x 1st XI premiership captain (95/96 and 01/02)
- 4 x 1st XI Batting Average
- 5 x 1st XI Bowling Average
- Jack Feaver Medalist in 92/93
- Hall of Fame Member
- Vice-Captain of the Team of the Century
- Inducted as Life Member in 07/08
Our condolences and heartfelt sympathy go out to Tony, Lynton and the Toms family.
Our club is old and has a rich history. If it was represented as a painting, Neville Toms would be a prominent character in it: his smile, charm, humour, self-deprecation, talent, comfortable friendship, strength and vulnerability tell a story of a man loved by many
His image and character remain as a memory, but a thread has gone from the canvas. It is not the same.
R.I.P. "Nifty" Neville Toms
25/01/1969 – 30/08/2017