top of page

By Richard Millott

A year after promotion, Lysterfield are through to host the Norm Reeves Shield Final after a successful chase against Knox Gardens at Park Ridge on Sunday.

Set 9/256 by the Falcons, the Beavers were quick out the blocks before Nathan Hicks fell for 36 putting the score at 1/53 from the first 15 overs. Anthony Brolic joined Daniel Forster-Jennings at the crease and continued to forge on before Forster-Jennings fell prior to tea for 45 as the Beavers returned to the sheds for the break at 2/124 from 45 overs. A tight contest against the Falcon’s bowling attack kept runs restricted to the bare minimum as Brolic notched up 53 before departing at 3/179, leaving Nathan Walsh to conclude the chase with 66 not out as the Beavers reached 6/257 with 16 balls to spare.

The Falcons will host Knoxfield in next week’s Preliminary Final after the Knights secured a 3-wicket win over The Basin. Chasing 200, the hosts started well being 1/37 before Luke Scanlan (52) teamed up with a number of Knights across the middle order to reach 4/148. The Bears fought with the ball, taking 3/29 to keep the pressure on as the overs ticked past with Adam Masters claiming 3 wickets to lead the attack, however Knoxfield kept their season alive reaching 7/203 with just under 2 overs to spare.

In DeCoite Shield, Ferntree Gully will host the Final at Wally Tew after defeating Monbulk. With 253 the target, the Hawks lost an early wicket before Jason Fraser and Shane Cosstick struck up an 82-run partnership. Cosstick departed for 41, with Fraser returning to the sheds for 77 with the board reading 5/172. With the ball, the Blues turned to Nick Woods (4/49) and Josh Henry (4/75) to claim breakthroughs, eventually dismissing the hosts for 213.

It will be a battle of the Hawks’ at Monbulk after Rowville defeated Knox Gardens. Being 0/26 overnight chasing 132, the Falcons started Day 2 up and about, claiming the opening 3 wickets early on to have the Hawks at 3/36. The Hawks saw through to drinks break before losing wickets either side to be 5/65, before Glenn Neven (40*) and Monto Perera (37*) combined for a 70 run stand lasting most of the afternoon to book Rowville a trip up to Monbulk next weekend.

In Division 3, Upwey will host the Final after defeating Eildon Park. Chasing 145, the Panthers lost a steady stream of wickets to be behind the 8-ball with the score at 5/24. Wickets were shared around, with Stephen Capon leading the charge with 3/18 from 16 overs. The Panthers were unable to rebuild, eventually dismissed for 63. Meanwhile, Ferntree Gully booked its place in the decider after chasing down The Basin. A target of 196 was bankrolled by Ben Pearce (77), with key support from Daniel Sharp (42) and Gavin Kalisperis (35) despite the Bears attack of Alex Winters (4/47) and Jarryd Debernardi (3/53) claiming wickets. The Blues reached the total with 4 overs to spare at 7/196.

St Johns Tecoma progressed to the Division 4 Final after victory over Knox City at Lewis Park. With the Tigers 4/6 overnight chasing 167, another wicket early in the day brought Craig O’Brien (35) to the crease. However Johnathon Smith was on for the Saints, snaring 5/20 from 11.1 overs alongside Daniel Pearce (3/39) to dismiss the hosts for 97. At South Belgrave, Monbulk proved to have enough on the board to see off Rowville. Matt Blackman (54) and Harrison Cowan (31) batted well for the Hawks in an attempt to chase down Monbulk’s 223, however efforts from Joel Wensley (4/44) and Connor Haworth-Hooker (3/36) restricted Rowville who were dismissed for 183.

In Division 5 action, Morgan Arundell stared for Eildon Park in a big win over Ferntree Gully. Resuming from 0/101, Kynan Wilkins (57) didn’t add to the overnight score however Arundell did, reaching 87 before some late quick hitting from Jake Rowe (31) and Marcus Mitchell (35*) got the Panthers to 6/261. The Blues started from 5/62, with Justin Delaney reaching 88 alongside Bailey Delaney (42*) despite the best efforts from Jack Meyers (3/25) to keep Ferntree Gully to 7/190. In the other Semi Final, The Basin progressed over Monbulk. The Hawks continued on to reach 153 after Chris Aaltonen (3/26) lead the charge, with the Bears passing 4/154 thanks to 67 from Greg Latham.

Olinda have reached the Division 6 Final after defeating Belgrave. The Pies reached 111, with Anthony Holloway (3/12 off 14 overs) and Mikel Greenough (3/42) restricting the visitors. In reply, the Bloods added the 32 runs required from their overnight score to secure their place. Meanwhile, Lysterfield saw off St Johns Tecoma in a tight low-scoring finish. The Beavers reached 9/90 after 48 overs, before an even share of wickets helped Lysterfield to victory, denying the Saints who were dismissed for 84 in the 54th over.

The Basin and Ferntree Gully Footballers will face off for Division 7 honours after both won their respective Semi Finals. At Upwey, the Tigers reached 110 for a score despite being hampered by Michael Turcinovic (3/7) and Bailey Hobbs (3/33). In Reply, the Bears continued from 3/62, with Simon Brown (44*) and Vito Blangiardo (31*) featuring in the final score of 3/114. Ferntree Gully Footballers saw off Knoxfield at Pickett’s Reserve. Nathan Hart (57) and Travis Smith (75) helped the Griffens to reach 197, before Tim de Geest (56) held up the order for the Knights as the visitors ended the season on 159.

A close finish up at Silvan saw the hosts prevail over Upper Ferntree Gully. The Kings batted on from 4/71 however could only reach 111 after Robert Dipietrantonio (4/19) controlled with the ball. Silvan – commencing at 7/87 – were cruising needing another 7 runs before back-to-back wickets saw the hosts 9-down, passing the target with 1 wicket in hand to seal a spot against Johnson Park who won through on Saturday.

bottom of page